As spring rolls along into summer, you may not think you still need your HVAC ductwork cleaned. You would expect plenty of warmth outside, but the temperature inside your commercial building might not be warm enough during chilly mornings. That means you might keep the furnace running. If that’s the case, then regularly cleaning your ducts helps because all of that activity will clog the filters more quickly. After all, it is a common feature of HVAC systems to deliver both heating and cooling through the same ducts. Here is a look at how duct cleaning improves the performance of your commercial HVAC system.
Helps Discover Airflow Issues
Clogged equipment of any kind will run into problems. Cleaning the ducts, especially those in your HVAC unit, can help you identify and rectify the airflow issues that have been plaguing your office space. The issues that you can deal with include:
- Clogs: It’s easy to forget to check on the condition of your HVAC ducts. Property and facility managers have enough on their minds. Dust, dirt, clouds of pollen, germs, and even pests can cause problems. If you recently renovated your office space, you might find that dust from drywall or other materials could be clogging your furnace ducts as well.
- Leaks: Leaking ducts can also result in less cool air reaching the parts of the office where your employees gather, contributing to their overall sense of discomfort.
- Closed vents: One of the simplest steps when it comes to HVAC duct cleaning is looking for closed vents and reopening them. Then you would need to clean them out because there’s no telling how long they have been closed.
- Insufficient ventilation: However, having insufficient ventilation is more complicated. You can upgrade your ducts or have entirely new ones installed, but it won’t matter unless you also ensure that supply and return vents are set up to provide continuous air circulation.
Reveals Poorly-Designed Ductwork
Proper duct cleaning can also indicate weaknesses in the ductwork that have built up over years of use and neglect. Once hot weather returns for real, you’ll be longing for the relief of colder temperatures in your office again. However, the air in your building can’t be distributed properly without sufficiently-maintained ducts. These issues can cause you even more headaches:
- Too Small: If your ducts are too small, then that is problematic as well. Unfortunately, this means that your systems will have to work even harder and consume more electricity, causing your power bills to skyrocket.
- Too Bendy: If there are too many bends in your ductwork system, then the cool air could get stuck or slow down because of all the twists and turns it has to overcome.
- Too Far: Where is your commercial HVAC unit located? If it has to go too far, the airflow won’t be as powerful. If you find that your commercial HVAC unit isn’t performing to your expectations, then it’s time to call the professionals for help.
Crockett Facilities Can Help!
Crockett Facilities Services, Inc. (CFSI) is committed to helping building owners, property managers, engineers, and facility professionals lower their operating expenses through HVAC preventive maintenance. We can develop a cost-effective, customized preventive maintenance plan for your commercial building that will provide you with peace of mind, improved comfort, and energy savings.
To learn more about the importance of HVAC Preventive Maintenance, please contact us at 202.600.2787 or email@example.com. Our PM contract customers receive priority service with 24/7 emergency service in Maryland, Virginia and Washington, DC.